Friday, June 6, 2008

A great father's love

You know how through email we can get a lot of junk... but this post is about a link to a very great father who loved his son more than words can express. I wish I could say that I could some day feel the kind of love and passion this father had for his son. 

Watch the video after you read this. I am told that this happened several years ago but it is totally amazing...

A son asked his father, 'Dad, will you take part in a marathon with me?'

The father who, despite having a heart condition, says 'Yes'. They went on
to complete the marathon together.

Father and son went on to join other marathons, the father always saying 
'Yes' to his son's request of going through the race together.

One day, the son asked his father, 'Dad, let's join the Ironman together.'

To which, his father said 'Yes'.  For those who don't know, Ironman is the toughest triathlon ever. The race encompasses three endurance events of a 2.4 mile (3.86 kilometer) ocean swim, followed by a 112 mile (180.2 kilometer) bike ride, and ending with a 26.2 mile (42.195 kilometer) marathon along the coast of the 
Big Island .

Father and son went on to complete the race together. View this...

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I just completely embarrased myself by bawling at work while watching this! You should have put a warning on: Beware, video will for sure make you bawl hysterically especially if you are pregnant and hungry and lunch isn't for another 40 minutes. Thanks for sharing this, I know you would do anything for your sons and they will be great fathers just like you!

Rebecca Pierce said...

That is a really inpiring video! Wow!

Payne Family said...

Bob-
What an amazing dad. I think of all the "inconvenient" things our kids ask us to do that probably take 5 minutes of our time. Kind of puts that in perspective. You know this father and son knew each other long before they came here. That is a bond that did not occur by accident. Great post, and a big thanks to awesome DADS everywhere!
Jennifer

Jeff Hamm said...

quite amazing video and story... surprised we hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Leah Remillet said...

Philippines 4:13 is my all time favorite verse!! That story is amazing, I completely lost it... the girls were really confused as to what was wrong with mommy. I'm going to post this on my blog. Thanks for the inspiration!!
I love checking your blog and just love the fact that you blog!! I think it's so awesome, just one of the many things you do for your kids!

-Jordan said...

http://www.teamhoyt.com/