Sunday, February 24, 2008

AHHH, the Ellipsis
Now that I have all of your attention I have to write about my favorite thing in writing... yes, the ellipsis, which I just used and is the "..." earlier in the sentence. This is the most fantastic punctuation in the whole wide world. It is commonly used as a pause in thought, which at my age can happen at any moment... kind of like a cataplexy. Many people like to use commas or semi colons to do similar things, but they don't have the pazzaz of the ellipsis. Let me show you. It can be used to totally leave someone hanging and just end the sentence. Here is a cool example... See what I mean, I just left you hanging there waiting for me to give you the examples and I didn't and you aren't even offended by it. Here is another one... see wasn't that cool too? I have noticed that Rebecca has used this excellent tool of the english language to kind of do a "ta-da" type of thing which is another of its many uses. Like this, "My favorite thing in the whole wide world is... Creamies!" Well the favorite thing in the whole world is a stretch, but I do love Creamies and it made a great point and I didn't even have to type "ta-da". So now I have given you one of the finer presentations on the ellipsis you will ever see and probably more than you will ever want to know... but next time you are writing, give it a try! You will love it!! (I do have to say that Jane read this blog and did not necessarily approve of it prior to its publication.)

5 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

HA! That was... ta da!
Anyway, keep these random things coming, even if Momer doesn't approve.

Amanda said...

I...love it! Love the random blogging, it makes my work day more exciting!

Rebecca Pierce said...

Dad. Mom thinks way too hard about stuff. We all love what you write! That's why we read your blog! I was so surprised to see a new post! I need to locate some Creamies up there for you. I'll find out who has them, but I won't tell you so that you don't deplete the world's supply...

Amanda said...

Yeah I live in the land of creamies! Im actually craving on right now! I've been trying to use the ellipsis more lately and I have to say it makes life more exciting!

kaitlin said...

haha oh my gosh random.
but seriously i use the dots (i think thats sounds better then ellipses. and its easier to spell) all the time. its one of my favorites.